Monday, November 4, 2013

Using ESRI Map Applications to Present Spatial Data

During this week, I explored the various ESRI Online map application templates trying to find the best one to present the data I collected in Verdun, France. Throughout the process I encountered a number of shortcomings that kept leading me back to the basic template design and, unfortunately for ESRI, sometimes Google Tour Builder.

The first map application template I used was the Elevations Profile. I figured this would be a creative way of presenting the landscape context of my data. Before using this template I had these expectations of its particular uses. I imagined being able to use my own DEM layer for my elevation data, and having scroll over effects to present various study sites. Once I began experimenting with the template, I realized it did not nearly meet my expectations. The interface provided is just terrible which I may extend to the ESRI story mapping creation process in general. Very simple tasks quickly become daunting, such as editing your map in general. Unlike the simple story map template, there doesn't seem to be any "builder mode" to edit and add features to the map. The only editing options I was able to find are located at the menu before actually opening the app. Once you get into this editing page, the purpose drop down menu located under Properties must be set to configurable (Figure 1).
Figure 1: To be able to edit an elevation profile template you have to select configurable under the application properties. Note the selection for an application programming interface. To utilize this web mapping application to its fullest extent, some background knowledge of JavaScript, Silverlight, or other API is needed.

Only after this is done can you actually begin creating a Elevation profile. This feature is cool and all, but is there an intuitive process that allows you to add your own data? The short answer is no, unless you have knowledge of JavaScript, Flex, Silverlight or another application programming interface. I have yet to figure out how to do even the basic task of saving the elevation profile to be viewed during later use.

I ran into the same problem when attempting to create a mapping application that incorporates a functioning slider. I figured this application would provide an interactive way of comparing my digital elevation model of the region, with aerial imagery. However, similar to the elevation profile template, some knowledge of an API is needed.

As a last resort I reverted back to the original story map template. Although this template doesn't provide the most functional method of presenting spatial data, the interface is very user friendly. To streamline the photo hosting and geocoding process, a .csv file was created with the server addresses to all of my images (Figure 2).


Figure 2: .CSV file with the photo addresses hosted by our GIS server.
 During this process, additional problems were encountered. To be recognized by ArcGIS Online, the format must exactly match their provided template. Null values, fields lacking any input, defeat the purpose of creating a .csv and all of the fields must include relavant information. It is important to note that Internet Explorer is not a recognized browser of the .csv file, for this reason Google Chrome was used

No comments:

Post a Comment